Re: [RFC] perf: perf record sets inherit by default

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Tue May 11 2010 - 10:48:14 EST

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 16:04 +0200, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am confused by the inheritance cmd line option of perf record:
>
> $ perf record -h
> usage: perf record [<options>] [<command>]
>
> -e, --event <event> event selector. use 'perf list' to list
> available events
> --filter <filter>
> event filter
> -p, --pid <n> record events on existing process id
> -t, --tid <n> record events on existing thread id
> -r, --realtime <n> collect data with this RT SCHED_FIFO priority
> -R, --raw-samples collect raw sample records from all opened counters
> -a, --all-cpus system-wide collection from all CPUs
> -A, --append append to the output file to do incremental profiling
> -C, --profile_cpu <n>
> CPU to profile on
> -f, --force overwrite existing data file (deprecated)
> -c, --count event period to sample
> -o, --output <file> output file name
> -i, --inherit child tasks inherit counters
>
> This leads to believe that by default inheritance in children is off.
>
> However, builtin-record.c says:
>
> static bool inherit = true;
>
> If that's the case, what's the point of the -i option?

Right, I think we should invert that, does --no-inherit work?

> Another side effect of inheritance is that in per-thread mode,
> perf creates as many "sessions" as you have CPUs. So
> on a 16-way processor, sampling on cycles, perf creates
> 16 events and 16 x 2-page sampling buffers. That's a lot of
> resources consumed if I am just interested in monitoring
> a single-threaded workload.

Right, but I think the default of inherit is right, and once you do that
you basically have to do the per-task-per-cpu thing, otherwise your
fancy 16-way will start spending most of its time in cacheline bounces.

That said, !inherit wouldn't need that, so a patch doing that would be
nice.