Re: [RFC] PyTimechart

From: Pierre Tardy
Date: Wed May 12 2010 - 13:13:09 EST

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 03:37:27PM +0200, Pierre Tardy wrote:
>> > Plugging to the scripting API is really easy, run:
>> >
>> >        $ perf timechart record
>> >        $ sudo ./perf trace -g python
>> >        generated Python script: perf-trace.py
>>
>> This is something that I want to try since I saw the perf scripting
>> patch, thanks for the recipe, I'll look at it in the next few days.
>>
>> The next problem is that perf timechart record is frozen on the number
>> of event it records.
>

> What do you mean? That it can't do incremental records or so?
> It's supported by perf record, may be not by perf timechart but
> that would be a matter of a little patch.

I mean that perf timechart record is implemented as an hardcoded perf
record call.
Typically, user wants to add is own events for pytimechart to display
them in a generic manner.
I agree this is a trivial change.

> Why not starting with a release that does the same things
> than timechart and trying to integrate the rest incrementally?
Yes, I'll see what I can do.

> The code I'm looking at here doesn't look dirty to me at a glance:
> http://gitorious.org/pytimechart/pytimechart/trees/master
That's because you did not read between the lines ;-)
The display core needs to be simplified.

Regards,
Pierre