Re: [git pull] Input updates for 2.6.34-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu May 13 2010 - 17:24:09 EST

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> But I guess because there are no devices plugged in ACPI they are "inactive"
> and thus ACPI drop them. I was always wondered by ACPI did that. Len?

Btw, even without actual physically plugging in the device, at least the
really early KVM boxes used to basically just _physically_ switch between
keyboard ports, and so using such a KVM switch is essentially also going
to plug it in after boot time.

Some slightly more fancier KVM devices (probably most of them by now - if
you want auto-switching etc) have real electronics and actually emulate a
keyboard, needed for computers that require a keyboard to even boot up
("Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue").

But the hard-switching ones were at least at some point way more reliable:
the "smart" ones would have trouble with any "fancy" features like
scroll-wheels etc. Probably not an issue any more.

Of course, these days few people use PS/2 keyboards any more, but it would
still be a shame to break a perfectly reasonable setup.

Linus