Re: Linux 2.6.34 (rt2860 regression)

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue May 18 2010 - 16:14:47 EST

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 07:37:14PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:59:54PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Greg KH wrote:

> >> Because we are not adding new firmware to the kernel tree wherever
> >> possible, but instead, putting it in the separate linux-firmware tree.
> >>
> > I don't think that's the case here, he's not asking that new firmware be
> > put in the kernel, just that existing firmware not be taken out.
>
> New firmware should not be added to the kernel. This rule has been
> documented since v2.6.30. Now this rule (like many others) is relaxed for
> staging, but you can expect that firmware will be removed as part of the
> cleanup process to make staging drivers follow the rules.

Yes, that is why these firmware blobs are being moved out. They
originally came in with the initial import of the driver to the staging
tree. And then, as part of the cleanup process, move out to the correct
interfaces that we have in the kernel for such things.

> > Obviously firmware needs to be in the kernel image, or the building of
> > initram becomes really nasty for NFS root systems.
>
> Modules that load firmware should have modinfo giving the filenames they
> may requested. Initramfs builders use that to find the files to include.

Yes, this should "just work" already for this driver. If not, please
let us know and we will be glad to fix it.

thanks,

greg k-h