Re: Unexpected splice "always copy" behavior observed

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 19 2010 - 12:04:58 EST

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> And predictability is good. The thing I don't like about the above is
> that it makes it totally unpredictable which pages will get moved, if
> any.

Tough.

Think of it this way: it is predictable. They get predictably moved when
moving is cheap and easy. It's about _performance_.

Do you know when TLB misses happen? They are unpredictable. Do you know
when the OS sends IPI's around? Do you know when scheduling happens?

No you don't. So stop whining.

Linus