Re: [RFC V2 SLEB 00/14] The Enhanced(hopefully) Slab Allocator

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Tue May 25 2010 - 05:53:50 EST

Hi Nick,

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The main selling point for SLUB was NUMA. Has the situation changed?
>
> Well one problem with SLAB was really just those alien caches. AFAIK
> they were added by Christoph Lameter (maybe wrong), and I didn't ever
> actually see much justification for them in the changelog. noaliencache
> can be and is used on bigger machines, and SLES and RHEL kernels are
> using SLAB on production NUMA systems up to thousands of CPU Altixes,
> and have been looking at working on SGI's UV, and hundreds of cores
> POWER7 etc.

Yes, Christoph and some other people introduced alien caches IIRC for
big iron SGI boxes. As for benchmarks, commit
e498be7dafd72fd68848c1eef1575aa7c5d658df ("Numa-aware slab allocator
V5") mentions AIM.

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have not seen NUMA benchmarks showing SLUB is significantly better.
> I haven't done much testing myself, mind you. But from indications, we
> could probably quite easily drop the alien caches setup and do like a
> simpler single remote freeing queue per CPU or something like that.

Commit 81819f0fc8285a2a5a921c019e3e3d7b6169d225 ("SLUB core") mentions
kernbench improvements.

Other than these two data points, I unfortunately don't have any as I
wasn't involved with merging of either of the patches. If other NUMA
people know better, please feel free to share the data.

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think we should: modernise SLAB code, add missing debug features,
> possibly turn off alien caches by default, chuck out SLUB, and then
> require that future changes have some reasonable bar set to justify
> them.
>
> I would not be at all against adding changes that transform SLAB to
> SLUB or SLEB or SLQB. That's how it really should be done in the
> first place.

Like I said, as a maintainer I'm happy to merge patches to modernize
SLAB but I still think you're underestimating the effort especially
considering the fact that we can't afford many performance regressions
there either. I guess trying to get rid of alien caches would be the
first logical step there.