Re: BUG: using smp_processor_id() in preemptible [00000000] code:icedove-bin/5449

From: Piotr Hosowicz
Date: Tue May 25 2010 - 10:13:17 EST

On 25.05.2010 12:29, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
On 25.05.2010 12:05, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
On 25.05.2010 12:00, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 11:57 +0200, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
On 25.05.2010 11:43, Ingo Molnar wrote:

This doesnt fix the whole issue. cpu_clock() is local, while the
measurements
done in the blk code are global ...

While the warning is fixed this way, the far more serious issue is
still
there: time can go backwards if two points of time measurement are on
different CPUs and can mess up the statistics with negative values,
etc...

How serious is this? Can it damage my data? I ask because the
machine is
my private computer, not any test machine.

I'm not sure, since I didn't really look what they use the timestamps
for, but a guess would say your data is safe, it might schedule the io
funny, but it should not compromise integrity. At best its used purely
for statistics and not even behaviour is affected.

Thanks.

Seems to work like a charm.

Not exactly. I looked into the syslog. I's much better, but I rebooted to single user mode to rebuild nvidia driver (new beta version) and I see same error (BUG ... code: ???) on shuting down, mentioning sync, umount and finally shutdown.

Anyway it's much more comfortable to build nvidia drivers in the console because previously the BUG lines cluttered all the console.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
Z cyklu "Uroki demokracji", czyli pytania i odpowiedzi w teledurniejach:
- Co wydarzyło się w Dallas 22 listopada 1963 roku?