Re: [linux-pm] idle-test patches queued for upstream

From: Thomas Renninger
Date: Thu May 27 2010 - 04:45:00 EST

On Thursday 27 May 2010 04:42:23 Len Brown wrote:
> Please look over and test this patch set.
> (If you test linux-next, you already have it)
>
> There are a few simple patches, leading up to a new intel_idle driver.
>
> Note that you can get the patch series as a single patch here:
> http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/idle/patches/2.6.34/idle-test-2.6.34.diff.gz
>
> or pull from this git branch
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lenb/linux-idle-2.6.git idle-test
>
> Both are vs 2.6.34.
>
> Why is it good to have a native intel_idle driver?
>
> Basically, we think we can do better than ACPI.
Why exactly? Is there any info missing in the ACPI tables?
Or is this just to be more independent from OEMs?

> Indeed, on my (production level commerically available) Nehalem desktop
> the ACPI tables are broken and an ACPI OS idles at 100W. With this
> driver the box idles at 85W.
What exactly was broken there?

IMO this is a step backward.
CPUfreq runs rather well on nearly every machine supporting it without
tons of static frequency tables in kernel. Even powernow-k8 might get merged
into acpi-cpufreq.

Intel set up a huge ACPI API for this and now it's not used anymore?!?
Will these parts get obsoleted in a future spec?
While for C-states there are not that many static entries needed, another
drawback could be that OEMs will disable/hide C-states on purpose.

Using ACPI table based C-states by default and using intel_idle.enable=1
or similar for workarounds sounds safer.
At least as long as the driver is experimental.

Does Windows use ACPI C-state info for idle?

Thanks,

Thomas