Re: resource piix4_smbus conflicts with ACPI region SMRG

From: Richard Tillmore
Date: Mon May 31 2010 - 22:36:48 EST

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Robert Hancock wrote:
> On 05/31/2010 04:12 PM, Richard wrote:
>>
>> I upgraded to 2.6.34-rc6 and noticed a few new messages in dmesg.  I
>> then installed 2.6.34 and the messages remain.
>>
>> PCI: Ignoring host bridge windows from ACPI; if necessary, use
>> "pci=use_crs" and report a bug
>> ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (0000:00)
>
> This is just an informational message.
>

>> ACPI: resource piix4_smbus [io  0x0440-0x0447] conflicts with ACPI
>> region SMRG [??? 0x00000440-0x0000044f flags 0x47]
>> ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use
>> it instead of the native driver
>>
>> The system is a Tyan Tiger S1832 motherboard with a P3 850Mhz
>> processor running the latest bios.  Everything appears to work
>> properly so I am unsure what the messages mean beyond the obvious.  I
>> did a little research and was wondering if this is related to the no
>> bootmem patches.  I have:
>
> Unless you need to use anything on SMBus (hardware sensors, essentially) you
> don't have to worry about that one. It means that the kernel has detected
> that the BIOS may potentially access the SMBus controller which may conflict
> with usage of the controller from within the OS.

I do use the lm78 sensor driver:
lm78: Found an LM79 chip at 0x290
and the Xsensors seem to work, the voltages and fan speeds change.

But you are correct the lm75 driver isn't loading so I am not getting
my cpu temperature.

In 2.6.30.9 I have:
Driver `lm78'
Detects correctly:
* Bus `SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0440'
Busdriver `i2c-piix4', I2C address 0x2d
ISA bus, address 0x290
Chip `National Semiconductor LM79' (confidence: 6)

Driver `lm75'
Detects correctly:
* Bus `SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0440'
Busdriver `i2c-piix4', I2C address 0x4c
Chip `National Semiconductor LM75' (confidence: 6)
* Bus `SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 0440'
Busdriver `i2c-piix4', I2C address 0x4d
Chip `National Semiconductor LM75' (confidence: 6)

In 2.6.34 I get:
Driver `lm78'
Detects correctly:
* ISA bus, address 0x290
Chip `National Semiconductor LM79' (confidence: 6)

So this is a regression.

Thanks,
Rich