Re: SSD + sata_nv + btrfs oops

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jun 01 2010 - 01:36:52 EST

On 05/31/2010 11:04 PM, Dave Airlie wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been running an Intel SSD (the KS one) on my Dell XPS710 desktop
machine, with btrfs on it.

I'm not sure the btrfs oops isn't due to the disk/controller doing
something bad (almost guaranteed).

The btrfs oops may be poor handling of an I/O error thrown by the block error.

Root cause is definitely your SATA PHY throwing some hardware errors from the transport layer (low level SATA packet transmission failures). Everything else sorta falls apart after that.

First guesses are the usual suspects: cabling, temperature, power or SATA ports on the [SATA controller | SATA device] going bad.

Disabling swncq will only improve things from the perspective of slowing things down and giving the hardware less to do. swncq makes things parallel, so forcing only one transaction at a time certainly increases the chances of success by reducing complexity and serializing transactions.

Jeff