Re: Article in Phoronix about loss of performance in 2.6.35 releasecandidates

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jun 01 2010 - 02:35:45 EST

* tytso@xxxxxxx <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:19:29AM +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
> > http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14976
> >
> > Question: Why?
>
> One of the theories that has been advanced is that it's simply this problem:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/5/22/154
>
> If so, it points out how idiotic Phoronix is about not being able to notice
> udev pegging the CPU at 100% being someone bad for its benchmark runs. :-)

They might be 'minimally helpful' and they might want to maximize clicks, but
IMO that doesnt equate to 'idiotic', at all. The slowdown was real and they
have no obligation to figure out what caused it.

Think what an ordinary tester would do: install -rc1, see a slowdown, skip
back to v2.6.34. Reporting the 'macro performance' metrics is useful.

As Linux gets more and more mainstream we should get used to
selfish/hostile/unhelpful journalism, just like we had to get used to
selfish/hostile/unhelpful users, developers, etc. This isnt directed at Linux,
this is simply an unavoidable side effect of becoming more mainstream. And
there will be more of this, hopefully ;-)

Thanks,

Ingo