Re: [linux-pm] [RFC] lp_events: an lternitive to suspend blockeruser mode and kernel API

From: mark gross
Date: Tue Jun 01 2010 - 10:01:15 EST

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:24:30PM -0700, Arve Hjønnevåg wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:09 PM, mark gross <640e9920@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Simple question: how is that better than the Alan Stern's proposed approach?
> >>
> > I just saw Alan Stern's proposal, and have gotten some input form some
> > others.  I can't say my patch represents a better Idea than what Alan
> > proposed.  However; what Alan (and Thomas) are talking about is
> > effectively the same as the kenrel mode wakelock/suspend blocker thing,
> > and although it reuses existing infrastructure, it doesn't solve the
> > problem of needing overlapping blocking sections of code from ISR to
> > user mode.
> >

> I don't think your solution solves this either.

Why? my proposal effectively removes the overlapping kernel blocking
sections uppon wake up by forcing the user mode to ack the wake event
and re-issue the suspend request explicitly. That pretty much solves
that problem.

We can talk about whether or not it can be used effectively with Android
user mode PM or not, which I still think it can, but I need to try the
mods to power.c.

--mgross