Re: Add a helper function in PCI IOV to get VF device

From: Chris Wright
Date: Thu Jun 03 2010 - 13:58:41 EST

* Frank Pan (frankpzh@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> hi Mitch,
>
> > Frank, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. All of the information you need is already in sysfs. Given the PF device, you can look at /sys/class/net/ethX/device/virtfnX to get the bus/device/function of each of the VF devices.
>
> Yes, that's the most funny part. Sysfs can only be traversed in
> usespace. So the thing userspace knows isn't known by driver(pf driver
> have no idea about vf's bdf), while the thing driver knows isn't known
> by userspace(one cannot infer pf's bdf from vf's bdf).
> Please think kernel/userspace as 2 system, they can hardly communicate
> these informations. IMHO give a syscall/ioctl telling these is funny
> and strange.
>
> > If the VF driver is loaded in your kernel, then given the bus/device/function of the vf device, you can look at /sys/class/net/ethX/device/virtfnX/net to see which interface corresponds to that VF.
>
> VF driver will never be loaded on physical machine, it can only be
> loaded in a virtual machine. On a physical machine, VF won't have any
> interface.

VF is often loaded on the physical machine. There's also a networking
specific mechanism for querying and configuring a VF via the PF.

While your patch is simple, it's unclear to me what your end goal is.
The patch itself only adds a function. if you showed how you are
planning to use it, that would really help.

It's especially confusing that you are comparing your patch with
symlinks visible in sysfs.

thanks,
-chris