Re: [RFC] oom-kill: give the dying task a higher priority

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Jun 03 2010 - 16:32:22 EST

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > And that can reduce the runtime of the thread holding a writelock on
> > mm->mmap_sem, making the exit actually take longer than without the patch
> > if its priority is significantly higher, especially on smaller machines.
>
> /me smells an inversion... on -rt we solved those ;-)

Right, but I don't see how increasing an oom killed tasks priority to a
divine priority doesn't impact the priorities of other tasks which may be
blocking the exit of that task, namely a coredumper or holder of
mm->mmap_sem. This patch also doesn't address how it negatively impacts
the priorities of jobs running in different cpusets (although sharing the
same cpus) because one cpuset is oom.