Re: ARM defconfig files

From: Daniel Walker
Date: Thu Jun 03 2010 - 17:48:46 EST

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 13:31 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> and now you'd be able to basically generate a OMAP3EVM .config file by
> just running "allnoconfig" on that Kconfig.omap3_evm file. But it would
> only have to select the parts that are specific for the EVM platform,
> because the generic OMAP3 support would be picked by the Kconfig.omap3
> file, which in turn would not have to worry about the generic ARM parts
> etc.
>
> See?

We could just alias commands so when the user runs

"make ARCH=arm omap3_evm_defconfig"

it would just do whatever this command does ,

"KBUILD_KCONFIG=arch/arm/configs/Kconfig.omap3_evm make allnoconfig"

but those Kconfigs wouldn't be in "make menuconfig" it would just exist
to generate the defconfigs, or the .config .. So Kconfig.omap3_evm
basically becomes the defconfig.

That doesn't seem un-reasonable. Although the solver to me seems more
elegant and we're getting the solver for some other reasons it seems
(unrelated to this defconfig issue).

Daniel