Re: mmotm 2010-06-03-16-36 uploaded

From: Michael Büsch
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 05:59:11 EST

On 06/04/2010 04:16 AM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 18:34:10 -0700
Andrew Morton<akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 10:14:27 +0900 FUJITA Tomonori<fujita.tomonori@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 16:36:51 -0700
akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The mm-of-the-moment snapshot 2010-06-03-16-36 has been uploaded to

http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/

and will soon be available at

git://zen-kernel.org/kernel/mmotm.git

It contains the following patches against 2.6.35-rc1:

(snip)

ssb-add-dma_dev-to-ssb_device-structure.patch
b43legacy-replace-the-ssb_dma-api-with-the-generic-dma-api.patch
b43-replace-the-ssb_dma-api-with-the-generic-dma-api.patch
b44-replace-the-ssb_dma-api-with-the-generic-dma-api.patch
ssb-remove-the-ssb-dma-api.patch

Is there any reason why the above patches are still in -mm (i.e. not
merged in the previous merge window)?

Two lines earlier:

# propagate these:

is akpm shorthand for "send these through maintainers".

I prefer to go that way if the patch isn't urgent, just to get a bit
more attention and review. If the patch has a maintainer ack already
then I'll often merge it directly.

I got an ACK on the first patch to ssb core from the ssb maintainer,
ACKs on the second and third to b43legacy and b43 from the maintainer.

http://marc.info/?t=126621151900002&r=1&w=2

And none of the above patches were sent to me with acked-by:s, and
nobody sent new acked-by:s, so I didn't know this!

Oh, sorry.

I guess John is the conduit for all five of the above so I'll send them
to him now and he might decide to squeak them into 2.6.35.

Thanks. They aren't urgent. 2.6.26 is fine.

But before I do that, please send me an email telling me who acked each
patch and I'll update that info.

The first version included the first, second, third, and forth
patches' changes:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=126621140418564&w=2

Michael Buesch<mb@xxxxxxxxx> acked:

David S. Miller<davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> also acked:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=126621509421648&w=2

Larry Finger<Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> acked the changes to
b43legacy and b43 (the second and third patches now):

I'm a bit nervous, however, whether these patches are tested on all platforms that ssb supports. Especially embedded.
However, there is not a huge problem if a breakage is introduced into the mainline kernel here. We hardly use mainline for embedded anyway. Some patches are basically always needed.
So from my point of view it is OK to merge these patches, if they are tested on i386, x86/64. The rest may be sorted out later in the rc cycle (or even -stable, for embedded).

--
Greetings Michael.