Re: ARM defconfig files

From: Grant Likely
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 08:40:14 EST

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Paul Mackerras <paulus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 01:31:07PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
>> Now, the above is a _trivial_ one. And it's actually broken, because I
>> should not have forced CONFIG_USB (it depends on CONFIG_USB_SUPPORT).
>
> Seems to me that the brokenness of select is the main technical issue
> stopping us getting rid of the defconfigs.  If there was a way to tell
> the Kconfig machinery "I want CONFIG_USB on, you figure out what has
> to be enabled for that to make sense" then it would all work.  But
> that's a hard problem (and may possibly have multiple solutions).

Yes, I think you're right. If select was 'smart', then the whole
issue kind of goes away. But as you say, that is a hard problem.

In the mean time, I'd be satisfied with a solution that punted out an
error at configure time if select requirements did not get met. I
should look at the patch Catalin posted.

g.