Re: [GIT PULL] block/io bits for 2.6.35-rc

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 10 2010 - 12:55:52 EST

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Jens Axboe <jaxboe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's fixing a regression where umount takes a LONG time if you have
> a lot of dirty inodes, since it basically degenerates to a data
> integrity writeback instead of a simple WB_SYNC_NONE. If it wasn't
> fixing a nasty regression (the distros are all wanting a real fix
> for this, it's a user problem), I would not be submitting this code
> at this point in time.

I'm not sure if you noticed, we had a separate thread with Dave
Chinner that resulted in three hopefully fairly minimal patches going
in instead.

See commits

git log -3 d87815cb2090

and I thought that last one (first one applied: "pay attention to
wbc->nr_to_write") was the one that had fixed the worst XFS issues.

But maybe it was an unrelated thing.

Linus