Re: Suspend hangs since 2.6.34

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Jun 10 2010 - 17:15:26 EST

Michael Tokarev wrote:
10.06.2010 03:42, Rafael J. Wysocki ÐÐÑÐÑ:
On Wednesday, June 09, 2010, Tino Keitel wrote:
Hi,

as of kernel 2.6.34 I sometimes get a strange hang during suspend to
RAM. After echo mem> /sys/power/state, the suspend script hangs, Xorg
eats 100% CPU, and the desktop is frozen. I can kill the script and the
computer will then suspend and resume fine. The kernel log shows
nothing interesting when the hang happens:

usblp0: removed
usbcore: deregistering interface driver dvb_usb_vp7045
dvb-usb: Twinhan USB2.0 DVB-T receiver (TwinhanDTV Alpha/MagicBox II)
successfully deinitialized and disconnected.
PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.

Sounds very much like the problem I have with 2.6.34 final. Did not
happen with 2.6.34-rc7 which suspended just fine, but happens quite
regularly on 2.6.34 final - not every suspend but each 2nd or 3rd
attempt. I stopped doing suspend-to-ram due to this, because it's
unreliable. Suspend-to-disk works just fine.

Is this a known problem?

There are two things you can try if you wish, one is to go the text console before suspend, the other is to run your system in VESA video mode (assuming you are a lucky person and any other mode is supported).

I'm not running on 2.6.34 for production (2.6.33.5) but I did try when it first came out, and saw some issues there.

No, it's not.

I had rock stable suspend with 2.3.33.x. The
computer is a Mac mini Core2 Duo with i945 graphics. I use KMS. I will
compile a kernel with suspend debug to get more information if the hang
happens next time.

It's amd780g athlon-based machine here, with radeon graphics, also with KMS.

Yes, please try to get more information.

Got it ;)

/mjt

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>