Re: Overview of concurrency managed workqueue

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Wed Jun 16 2010 - 08:12:11 EST

Hello,

On 06/15/2010 09:43 PM, Daniel Walker wrote:
> I noticed that you removed the RT workqueue since it's no longer used,
> but it's possible that a user can raise the priority of a given work
> queue thread into real time priorities. So with single threaded, and
> multithreaded workqueues specific to certain areas of the kernel the
> user would have a greater ability to control priorities of those areas.
>
> It looks like with your patches it would remove that level of
> flexability effectively making all the work item the same priority with
> no ability to raise or lower .. Is that accurate ?

Yes, that is. With new cmwq, a wq can't assume association with
specific kthread and thus can't use wq as simple frontend to kthreads,
but if somebody wants dedicated kthreads instead of shared ones in
units of work, [s]he should be using kthread.

wq does provide nicer tools for synchronization but in general I don't
think using kthread is too hard and there aren't too many cases
anyway. If there are many users && kthread is difficult to use
directly, we can definitely write up a wrapping layer tho. But I
really think using wq as wrapper around kthreads and manipulating
worker thread directly is an abusement.

Thanks.

--
tejun