Re: bnx2 fails to compile on parisc because of missingget_dma_ops()

From: Michael Chan
Date: Wed Jun 16 2010 - 23:54:15 EST

Mike Frysinger wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:13 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> > I'm not quite sure whose fault this one is.
> >
> > However, this code in bnx2.c:
> >
> > if (!get_dma_ops(&pdev->dev)->sync_single_for_cpu) {
> > next_rx_buf =
> > &rxr->rx_buf_ring[
> > RX_RING_IDX(NEXT_RX_BD(sw_cons))];
> > prefetch(next_rx_buf->desc);
> > }
> >
> > Looks remarkably fragile: what exactly is it trying to do?

If sync_single is not defined, that means the CPU has a consistent
view of next_rx_buf and so it makes sense to prefetch it.

> > The commit that causes the problem:
> >
> > commit a33fa66bcf365ffe5b79d1ae1d3582cc261ae56e
> > Author: Michael Chan <mchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date: Thu May 6 08:58:13 2010 +0000
> >
> > bnx2: Add prefetches to rx path.
> >
> > Looks fairly innocuous by the description.
> >
> > Should parisc have a get_dma_ops()? We don't need one
> because our dma
> > ops are per platform not per bus.
>
> looks like it'll be broken on more than just parisc:
> $ grep get_dma_ops arch/*/include/asm/ -rl | cut -d/ -f 2
> alpha
> ia64
> microblaze
> powerpc
> sh
> sparc
> x86

Most of these archs use the dma functions in:

<asm-genric/dma-mapping-common.h>

so it's not a problem.

I think I'll send in a patch to remove that part of the code
from bnx2.c for now.

Thanks.