Re: udevd high cpu hogging in kernel-2.6.34 git8 to git-13

From: JD
Date: Thu Jun 17 2010 - 12:21:16 EST

On 05/27/2010 11:10 PM, Jiri Slaby wrote:
Added lkml back to CC.

On 05/28/2010 08:06 AM, JD wrote:
But here goes:
I have seen this behaviour in all the git releases from git8
to the current 2.6.34-git13

I have some of the analysis based on strace, and kernel stack
trace.
Instead of backing out the whole code for the new udevd, perhaps
it (udevd) should sleep for some time before polling the same fd
again.
So if you see in the strace output the poll to return immediately with
out fd being an anon_inode (check /proc/pid_of_udev/fd/), it is the
issue. AFAIK, it was not fixed upstream yet.

So could you try to revert a7cf4145b?

As promised, I tested the patch submitted by Eric Paris
(See http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=127479018618584&w=2).
I patched kernel-2.6.34-git13 with it, without reverting a7cf4145b.
The thing is it works and works extremely well.
The behaviour is back to what it used to be: Only 3 udevd
threads, as in before git8, and they do not consume any
cpu bandwidth that I can see. It is well below the threshold
of 1% .

Also, it seems that it has been picked up by upstream. Compiled
and booted 2.6.34-git16 and all is well.