Re: [patch 11/33] fs: dcache scale subdirs

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010 - 09:36:01 EST

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 02:53 +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

> > Right, so this isn't going to work well, this dentry recursion is
> > basically unbounded afaict, so the 2nd subdir will also be locked using
> > DENRTY_D_LOCKED_NESTED, resulting in the 1st and 2nd subdir both having
> > the same (sub)class and lockdep doesn't like that much.
>
> No it's a bit of a trucky loop, but it is not unbounded. It takes the
> parent, then the child, then it may continue again with the child as
> the new parent but in that case it drops the parent lock and tricks
> lockdep into not barfing.

Ah, indeed the thing you pointed out below should work.

> > Do we really need to keep the whole path locked? One of the comments
> > seems to suggest we could actually drop some locks and re-acquire.
>
> As far as I can tell, RCU should be able to cover it without taking more
> than 2 locks at a time. John saw some issues in the -rt tree (I haven't
> reproduced yet) so he's locking the full chains there but I hope that
> won't be needed.

Right, so I was staring at the -rt splat, so its John who created that
wreckage?

static int select_parent(struct dentry * parent)
{
struct dentry *this_parent;
struct list_head *next;
unsigned seq;
int found;

rename_retry:
found = 0;
this_parent = parent;
seq = read_seqbegin(&rename_lock);

spin_lock(&this_parent->d_lock);
repeat:
next = this_parent->d_subdirs.next;
resume:
while (next != &this_parent->d_subdirs) {
struct list_head *tmp = next;
struct dentry *dentry = list_entry(tmp, struct dentry, d_u.d_child);
next = tmp->next;

spin_lock_nested(&dentry->d_lock, DENTRY_D_LOCK_NESTED);
dentry_lru_del_init(dentry);
/*
* move only zero ref count dentries to the end
* of the unused list for prune_dcache
*/
if (!atomic_read(&dentry->d_count)) {
dentry_lru_add_tail(dentry);
found++;
}

/*
* We can return to the caller if we have found some (this
* ensures forward progress). We'll be coming back to find
* the rest.
*/
if (found && need_resched()) {
spin_unlock(&dentry->d_lock);
goto out;
}

/*
* Descend a level if the d_subdirs list is non-empty.
* Note that we keep a hold on the parent lock while
* we descend, so we don't have to reacquire it on
* ascend.
*/
if (!list_empty(&dentry->d_subdirs)) {
this_parent = dentry;
goto repeat;
}

spin_unlock(&dentry->d_lock);
}
/*
* All done at this level ... ascend and resume the search.
*/
if (this_parent != parent) {
struct dentry *tmp;
struct dentry *child;

tmp = this_parent->d_parent;
child = this_parent;
next = child->d_u.d_child.next;
spin_unlock(&this_parent->d_lock);
this_parent = tmp;
goto resume;
}

out:
/* Make sure we unlock all the way back up the tree */
while (this_parent != parent) {
struct dentry *tmp = this_parent->d_parent;
spin_unlock(&this_parent->d_lock);
this_parent = tmp;
}
spin_unlock(&this_parent->d_lock);
if (read_seqretry(&rename_lock, seq))
goto rename_retry;
return found;
}

> > > /*
> > > * Descend a level if the d_subdirs list is non-empty.
> > > */
> > > if (!list_empty(&dentry->d_subdirs)) {
> > > + spin_unlock(&this_parent->d_lock);
> > > + spin_release(&dentry->d_lock.dep_map, 1, _RET_IP_);
> > > this_parent = dentry;
> > > + spin_acquire(&this_parent->d_lock.dep_map, 0, 1, _RET_IP_);
> > > goto repeat;
>
> ^^^ That's what we do when descending.

You can write that as:
lock_set_subclass(&this_parent->d_lock.dep_map, 0, _RET_IP_);

See kernel/sched.c:double_unlock_balance().