Re: [rfc] Describe events in a structured way via sysfs

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Tue Jun 22 2010 - 03:40:12 EST

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 09:33 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:

> > > That's not appropriate either though since you may have multiple network
> > > interfaces on the same hardware :)
> >
> > Doesn't net/wlan0...wlanN mean multiple network interfaces on the same
> > hardware?
>
> Yes, but the trace points aren't per network interface but rather per
> hardware piece.

Which really just means that whoever writes the tracepoint needs to
provide a struct device for where to put it (at least in the case of
driver tracepoints), and then ideally some description of the device
also gets put into the ringbuffer.

Assuming you actually want to have the event show up in sysfs twice if
it has multiple producers? I'd like that, it would make sense for a lot
of cases since you might only care about one of the producers.

johannes