Re: ata link not reset properly

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Sun Jun 27 2010 - 14:28:40 EST

Hello.

Robert Hancock wrote:

On 25.06.2010 17:19, Tejun Heo wrote:
Patch attached, but please see below.

Cheers, I will give it a try and provide feedback if "it" happens again.

Is it PATA?

Yes. This chipset doesn't have SATA, only PATA.

Ahh, ok, it's not sata_nv at all then, it's pata_amd. On the same chip, totally different controller though.

PATA doesn't normally use hard-resets as a means of error recovery - that would mean hitting the RESET line, which I don't think most controllers can do on software command (it usually only gets asserted on power up or hitting the reset button), unlike on SATA where there's a defined way to trigger a COMRESET which is mostly equivalent. Also, that resets both devices on the channel, unlike soft reset which is specific to one device.

PATA soft reset affects both devices too. Unless you mean ATAPI Device Reset command.

MBR, Sergei