Re: Regression: ps2mouse not working in 2.6.34

From: Mark Lord
Date: Mon Jun 28 2010 - 13:18:43 EST

On 28/06/10 12:33 PM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:04:46PM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
Okay, who broke it, and how do I re-enable it?

The PS/2 mice on my systems here don't do anything with 2.6.34.
One system complains that I need to boot with i8042.nopnp to enable it,
which I also tried, but still nogo. Same behaviour with or without
/dev/psaux enabled. 64-bit kernel.

The other system, running older userspace, hangs at the X-server startup
because it cannot find the mouse. No i8042 warnings. 32-bit kernel.

Both systems working fine with older kernels.
Google finds lots of other people discovering the same problem.

What gives?

Well, lest start small: did it work ifor you with 2.6.33? Does kernel
discover AUX serio port (dmesg)? What about the mouse itself? Is it
absent or is it not reporting events?
..

I started by crawling into the wire nest under the table. :)

After a certain amount of experimentation, it appears that the newer
kernel is not compatible with the USB-to-PS2 dongle on the end of the mouse.
I found a different USB-to-PS2 dongle which does work, though.

Very weird. I can mail you the other dongle if are really interested
in figuring out what broke and fixing it.

Otherwise, things are now working here again after the hardware change.

Cheers