Re: while_each_thread() under rcu_read_lock() is broken?

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Tue Jun 29 2010 - 12:05:10 EST

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 03:05:03PM +0200, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> On 06/28, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > I think, yes. We can miss them in any case, they can go away before
> > > while_each_thread(g, t) starts the scan.
> > >
> > > If g == group_leader (old or new), then we should notice this thread
> > > at least.
> > >
> > > Otherwise we can miss them all, with or without next_thread_careful().
> >
> > Just to be sure that we are actually talking about the same scenario...
> >
> > Suppose that a task group is lead by 2908 and has member 2909, 2910,
> > 2911, and 2912. Suppose that 2910 does pthread_exit() just as some
> > other task is "ls"ing the relevant /proc entry. Is it really OK for
> > "ls" to show 2909 but not 2911 and 2912, even though 2911 and 2912
> > were alive and kicking the entire time?
>
> Confused.
>
> Let's return to
>
> do
> printk("%d\n", t->pid);
> while_each_thread(g, t);
>
> for the moment.
>
> In that case, if g != 2910 (the exiting thread) we will print all pids,
> except we can miss 2910. With or without next_thread_careful().
>
> Only if we start at g == 2910, then
>
> current code: print 2910, then spin forever printing
> other pids
>
> next_thread_careful: stop printing when we notice that 2910
> was unhashed.
>
> So, yes, in this case we can miss all
> other threads.
>
> As for "ls"ing the relevant /proc entry. proc_task_readdir() is complicated,
> it can drop rcu lock, sleep, etc. But basically it mimics while_each_thread()
> logic. Let's assume that proc_task_fill_cache() never fails.
>
> proc_task_readdir() always starts at the group_leader, 2908. So, with or
> without next_thread_careful() we can only miss the exiting 2910.
>
> But (again, unless I missed something) the current code can race with exec,
> and s/next_thread/next_thread_careful/ in first_tid() can fix the race.
> (just in case, we can fix it differently).
>
> But, of course, if you do "ls /proc/2910/task" instead of "ls /proc/2908/task"
> you can miss _all_ threads if 2910 exits before proc_task_readdir() finds
> its leader, 2908. Again, this is with or without next_thread_careful().
>

> Paul, please let me know if I misunderstood your concerns, or if I missed
> something.

Thank you very much for laying this out completely! I was having a hard
time believing that it was OK to miss threads in the "ls /proc/2910/task"
case. But of course similar issues can arise when running "ls" on a
directory with lots of files that are coming and going quickly in the
meantime, I guess. And if proc_task_fill_cache() fails, we can miss
tasks as well, correct?

Given all this, I believe that your fix really does work.

Thanx, Paul