Re: add sd_unprep_fn to free discard page

From: Boaz Harrosh
Date: Thu Jul 01 2010 - 09:41:04 EST

On 07/01/2010 01:49 PM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> This patchset fixes page leak issue in discard commands with unprep
> facility that James posted:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=127791727508214&w=2
>
> The 1/3 patch adds unprep facility to the block layer (identical to
> what James posted).

Alternatively to this patch you could also call scsi_driver->done()
on all commands. There are only two users (sd sr) it's not that bad to add
an if (blk_pc_req()) inside these ->done() function.

> The 2/3 patch frees a page for discard commands by using the unprep
> facility. James' original patch doesn't work since it accesses to
> rq->bio in q->unprep_rq_fn. We hit oops since q->unprep_rq_fn is
> called when all the data buffer (req->bio and scsi_data_buffer) in the
> request is freed.
>
> I use rq->buffer to keep track of an allocated page as the block layer
> sets rq->buffer to the address of bio's page. scsi-ml (and llds) don't
> use rq->buffer (rq->buffer is set to NULL). So I can't say that I like
> it lots. Any other way to do that?

rq->buffer is intended for block-driver use as well as req->special.
sd+scsi-ml is the block-driver here. req->special is used by scsi-ml
and rq->buffer is set to NULL inside the call to
scsi_setup_blk_pc_cmnd/scsi_setup_fs_cmnd. Since you set the ->buffer
after the call to scsi_setup_blk_pc_cmnd you should be in the clear.

I think scsi-ml should stop setting rq->buffer to NULL and leave it
be for ULD use. It is left from the time that LLDs where converted
to use BIOs, just to make sure out-of-tree drivers crash.

Boaz