Re: BUG in drivers/dma/ioat/dma_v2.c:314

From: Dan Williams
Date: Tue Jul 06 2010 - 20:58:18 EST

On 7/6/2010 5:51 PM, Chris Li wrote:
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Dan Williams<dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No, it should be PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_IOAT_SNB (0x402f) for the dma
engine at 00:0f.0 . PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_ESB2_0 is the LPC controller at
00:1f.0,

That seems to be the reason preventing the warning to be print out. I am not
sure the warning should be always print out. Just curious why it did
not trigger.

It should always trigger, and I have verified as much with the attached
replacement patch (by forcing the error on a working system), but we run
into a new problem. dma_pool_alloc() assumes that any dma_mapping error
is transient. Do we need a new type of dma_mapping_error() that
indicates permanent failure versus ENOMEM? The driver can handle the
allocation failure, but it never gets the chance.

Should I test your V2 patch instead?

It would confirm that we are catching the BIOS misconfiguration, but your system will get stuck in this loop. So just make sure you can get back to a working config, which it sounds like you can.

--
Dan