Re: Drives missing at boot

From: Mark Knecht
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 12:16:10 EST

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 07/07/2010 05:34 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> OK - I don't know if this was you intention but since adding this
>> patch I've not had a single drive missing failure. I've cold booted
>> about 8 times and warm booted at least 20 times. Every one has come up
>> fine. I've even gone so far as to turn off the UPS and sit for 5
>> minutes before cold booting. Still nothing fails right now.
>>
>> I've had this sort of statistical thing happen before where it hasn't
>> failed for days, maybe even weeks, but then it starts failing and
>> fails every time for awhile. Over the past few days working with you
>> I've never had to reboot more than twice to get you a file. Now I've
>> tried 30 times this morning and I've come up with nothing.
>>
>> I will continue to watch the machine and send you the failing dmesg
>> file whenever I finally get it. For now I can only attach the passing
>> file showing the patch is now included.
>
> It seems like SIDPR is a bit more unreliable than the current code can
> handle and the added delay and read could have affected the result.
> Eh... weird. ÂCan you please apply the attached patch instead? ÂThe
> only difference is it will print out two SControl values instead of
> one. Âie. "XXX SControl after resume = AAA BBB, tries=T". ÂCan you
> please try to boot multiple times and see if AAA and BBB differ
> anytime? ÂIf that happens, please attach the boot log. ÂAlso, if you
> see one with T > 1, please attach that one too.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> tejun

Certainly. Is there a way to reverse the previous patch?

c2stable linux # patch -p1 --dry-run <~mark/Downloads/resume-dbg-1.patch
patching file drivers/ata/libata-core.c
Hunk #2 succeeded at 3833 with fuzz 2 (offset 94 lines).
Hunk #3 FAILED at 6109.
1 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/ata/libata-core.c.rej
c2stable linux #

I assume this is failing because your patch is over the plain kernel,
not the one I've patched?

Thanks,
Mark