Re: [patch 134/149] x86, paravirt: Add a global synchronizationpoint for pvclock

From: Glauber Costa
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 17:09:24 EST

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 10:11:58AM -1000, Zachary Amsden wrote:
> On 07/07/2010 08:15 AM, Glauber Costa wrote:

> >>Booting with various clocksource=xxx kernel parameters does not change
> >>the behaviour at all, i.e. the boot still hangs.
> >wow, it is really weird then.
> >
> >that patch shouldn't affect anything outside the pvclock realm.
>
> Unless you added data which is mistakenly in read-only section, I
> can't see how it would affect anything either. Of course, you have
> changed the data and text size, it is possible this triggered
> another bug.

Yes, but at least this patch alone, does not touch anything on that
regard (or at least should not).

> What exact section does the per-cpu pvclock data fall into? It's
> read-only in the kernel, but writeable from the hypervisor.
it is not explicitly marked read only in the kernel, afaik.
we just trust the kernel not to use it.

> Also, did this patch arrive before or after the pvclock reboot
> bugfix? Because if the hypervisor is still writing the pvclock
> page, clocksource=xxx would not change that behavior without that
> fix.
Dunno in which order they got applied in stable. But from what I understood,
this is not a reboot scenario. It happens on first boot, right?