Re: high power consumption in recent kernels

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Thu Jul 08 2010 - 11:07:29 EST

> and for that matter, what is "[extra timer interrupt]", surely the
> timer hardware doesn't generate spurious interrupts?

extra timer interrupt are those cases where we see the hardware
interrupt fire, but we do not have software timers to account for them.
two cases this can happen
* a NO_HZ bug
* we are idle longer than the longest interval we can program the hw
timer for. Without HPET this can happen.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org