Re: periods and deadlines in SCHED_DEADLINE

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Jul 09 2010 - 10:32:55 EST

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 15:38 +0200, Raistlin wrote:
> - do you think it could be useful to have a different syscall to deal
> with the period parameter (if it's different from deadline), e.g.,
> something useful to make the task periodic as you have (if I remember
> well) in Xenomai or RTAI?
> If you think it's worth doing that, do you think the
> task_wait_interval() syscall that we already added could/should do
> the job?

Again, I'm afraid I need some extra education here in order to make a
sensible comment.

What are the exact semantics of this extra proposed syscall?

What exactly are the benefits over not having it, and simply rely on the
task to not wake up more often, but if it does have it run into the lack
of budget and sort it that way?