Re: periods and deadlines in SCHED_DEADLINE

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Sat Jul 10 2010 - 06:36:32 EST

On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 09:11 +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 16:24 +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 15:38 +0200, Raistlin wrote:
> > > Basically, from the scheduling point of view, what it could happen is
> > > that I'm still _NOT_ going to allow a task with runtime Q_i, deadline
> > > D_i and period P_i to use more bandwidth than Q_i/P_i, I'm still using D
> > > for scheduling but the passing of the simple in-kernel admission test
> > > Sum_i(Q_i/P_i)<1 won't guarantee that the task will always finish its
> > > jobs before D.
> >
> > But the tardiness would still be bounded, right? So its a valid Soft-RT
> > model?

> I think that if Sum_i(Q_i/P_i)<1 but Sum_i(Q_i/min{P_i,D_i})>=1 then you
> can have sporadic deadline misses, but it should still be possible to
> compute an upper bound for the tardiness.
> But this is just a feeling, I have no proof... :)

The paper referenced by Bjoern yesterday mentioned that Baruah et al.
did that proof.

"For the considered case di < pi , Baruah et al. [7] showed
that the complexity increases considerably. However, as-
suming the processor utilization to be strictly less than 1,
Baruah et al. [6, 7] proved that if a deadline is missed,
this happens within a maximum time upper bound which
can be computed."

[6] S. Baruah, A. Mok, and L. Rosier. Preemptively scheduling
hard-real-time sporadic tasks on one processor. Proceedings
of the 11th IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, December 1990.

[7] S. Baruah, L. Rosier, and R. Howell. Algorithms and
complexity concerning the preemptive scheduling of peri-
odic real-time tasks on one processor. Real-Time Systems,
2(4):301â324, November 1990.

It also jives well with that I remember from reading through Jim's
papers on Soft-RT G-EDF.