stable? quality assurance?

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Sun Jul 11 2010 - 03:18:51 EST

Hi!

2.6.34 was a desaster for me: bug #15969 - patch was availble before
2.6.34 already, bug #15788, also reported with 2.6.34-rc2 already, as well
as most important two complete lockups - well maybe just X.org and radeon
KMS, I didn't start my second laptop to SSH into the locked up one - on my
ThinkPad T42. I fixed the first one with the patch, but after the lockups I
just downgraded to 2.6.33 again.

I still actually *use* my machines for something else than hunting patches
for kernel bugs and on kernel.org it is written "Latest *Stable* Kernel"
(accentuation from me). I know of the argument that one should use a
distro kernel for machines that are for production use. But frankly, does
that justify to deliver in advance known crap to the distributors? What
impact do partly grave bugs reported on bugzilla have on the release
decision?

And how about people who have their reasons - mine is TuxOnIce - to
compile their own kernels?

Well 2.6.34.1 fixed the two reported bugs and it seemed to have fixed the
freezes as well. So far so good.

Maybe it should read "prerelease of stable" for at least 2.6.34.0 on the
website. And I just again always wait for .2 or .3, as with 2.6.34.1 I
still have some problems like the hang on hibernation reported in

hang on hibernation with kernel 2.6.34.1 and TuxOnIce 3.1.1.1

on this mailing list just a moment ago. But then 2.6.33 did hang with
TuxOnIce which apparently (!) wasn't a TuxOnIce problem either, since
2.6.34 did not hang with it anymore which was a reason for me to try
2.6.34 earlier.

I am quite a bit worried about the quality of the recent kernels. Some
iterations earlier I just compiled them, partly even rc-ones which I do
not expact to be table, and they just worked. But in the recent times .0,
partly even .1 or .2 versions haven't been stable for me quite some times
already and thus they better not be advertised as such on kernel.org I
think. I am willing to risk some testing and do bug reports, but these are
still production machines, I do not have any spare test machines, and
there needs to be some balance, i.e. the kernels should basically work.
Thus I for sure will be more reluctant to upgrade in the future.

Ciao,