Re: Modpost error after changing CONFIG_SOUND from m to y

From: Denys Vlasenko
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 13:11:55 EST

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 05:54:16 +0200 Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> I was using the same .config for my home machine for a long time,
>> updating it using "make oldconfig" every time I moved to newer kernel.
>> It worked fine for many kernels.
>>
>> In this .config I had CONFIG_SOUND=m.
>>
>> Starting witn 2.6.34, build fails with
>>
>> sound/core/sound_oss.c:25:2: error: #error "Enable the OSS soundcore multiplexer (CONFIG_SOUND) in the kernel."
>>
>> Ok. I changed CONFIG_SOUND to y. Now the build fails at modpost:
>
> Hi,
> I can't get the build to fail (2.6.34 or 2.6.35-rc4-git4).
> Please provide a full/complete .config file (and that will include a
> kernel version number :).

I found out that build only fails if I give empty CFLAGS_KERNEL
and CFLAGS_MODULE variables to make, like this:

make CFLAGS_KERNEL="" CFLAGS_MODULE=""

Well, initially were not empty, but I just verified
with unmodified 2.6.35-rc4 that even empty ones exhibit the bug.

Bare make (without variables) does not fail.

make CFLAGS_KERNEL="" CFLAGS_MODULE="" doesn't fail if I fully
disable sound support. Looks like the bug is localized
to sound code.

Please find .config attached.

--
vda