Re: [patch 134/149] x86, paravirt: Add a global synchronization point for pvclock

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Jul 13 2010 - 19:49:37 EST

On 07/13/2010 03:14 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Actually, I believe volatile operations (including asm volatile) are
> strictly ordered *with respect to other volatile operations*.

The documentation makes no reference to that property; in fact it
suggests it is outright not true:

Note that even a volatile `asm' instruction can be moved relative to
other
code, including across jump instructions. For example, on many targets
there is a system register which can be set to control the rounding
mode of floating point operations. You might try setting it with a
volatile `asm', like this PowerPC example:

asm volatile("mtfsf 255,%0" : : "f" (fpenv));
sum = x + y;

This will not work reliably, as the compiler may move the addition
back before the volatile `asm'. To make it work you need to add an
artificial dependency to the `asm' referencing a variable in the
code you don't want moved, for example:

asm volatile ("mtfsf 255,%1" : "=X"(sum): "f"(fpenv));
sum = x + y;

Similarly, you can't expect a sequence of volatile `asm'
instructions to remain perfectly consecutive.
[...]
An `asm' instruction without any output operands will be treated
identically to a volatile `asm' instruction.

> As such I
> would think we'd want to keep the "memory" clobber here, to make it
> strictly ordered with regards to *all* memory operations.

That would keep its overall effect consistent.