Re: emacs and "linux" coding style

From: Dimitrios Apostolou
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 07:51:15 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Theodore Tso wrote:
I've always read indentation as referring to indentation for the beginning of
code lines, but not to making function parameters or paraenthesis line
up. This is something which emacs does automatically, but vi does not.

People who are anal enough to worry about this sort of thing, in general,
IMHO, really should find better things to do. And if checkpatch.pl were to
be "improved" to start issue warnings about code not adhering to this
CodingStyle assertion, #1, you would find out how much code doesn't
adhere to this, and #2, I think a lot of people, including myself, would be
complaining vociferously and agitating to have that language removed
from CodingStyle as being an actively harmful and incorrect recommendation.

if two kernel developers agree that tabs-only alignment of arglists is not necessary, then my guess is that the CodingStyle document is broken and needs to be fixed. Quote from Documentation/CodingStyle:

That's OK, we all do. You've probably been told by your long-time Unix user helper that "GNU emacs" automatically formats the C sources for you, and you've noticed that yes, it does do that, but the defaults it uses are less than desirable (in fact, they are worse than random typing - an infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs would never make a good program).

So, you can either get rid of GNU emacs, or change it to use saner
values. To do the latter, you can stick the following in your .emacs file:

If emacs' style is OK then why all this inflamatory talk is needed, and why is a patch proposed? The only thing needed is to use the "linux" c-style.

Thanks,
Dimitris

P.S. CC'd the author of latest emacs-related patch in CodingStyle