Re: [patch 1/2] x86_64 page fault NMI-safe

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 12:26:40 EST

* Frederic Weisbecker (fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 07:11:17PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * Frederic Weisbecker (fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > So, when an event triggers in perf, we sometimes want to capture the stacktrace
> > > that led to the event.
> > >
> > > We want this stacktrace (here we call that a callchain) to be recorded
> > > locklessly. So we want this callchain buffer per cpu, with the following
> > > type:
> >
> > Ah OK, so you mean that perf now has 2 different ring buffer implementations ?
> > How about using a single one that is generic enough to handle perf and ftrace
> > needs instead ?
> >
> > (/me runs away quickly before the lightning strikes) ;)
> >
> > Mathieu
>

> :-)
>
> That's no ring buffer. It's a temporary linear buffer to fill a stacktrace,
> and get its effective size before committing it to the real ring buffer.

I was more thinking along the lines of making sure a ring buffer has the proper
support for your use-case. It shares a lot of requirements with a standard ring
buffer:

- Need to be lock-less
- Need to reserve space, write data in a buffer

By configuring a ring buffer with 4k sub-buffer size (that's configurable
dynamically), all we need to add is the ability to squash a previously saved
record from the buffer. I am confident we can provide a clean API for this that
would allow discard of previously committed entry as long as we are still on the
same non-fully-committed sub-buffer. This fits your use-case exactly, so that's
fine.

You could have one 4k ring buffer per cpu per execution context. I wonder if
each Linux architecture have support for separated thread vs softirtq vs irq vs
nmi stacks ? Even then, given you have only one stack for all shared irqs, you
need something that is concurrency-aware at the ring buffer level.

These small stack-like ring buffers could be used to save your temporary stack
copy. When you really need to save it to a larger ring buffer along with a
trace, then you just take a snapshot of the stack ring buffers.

So you get to use one single ring buffer synchronization and memory allocation
mechanism, that everyone has reviewed. The advantage is that we would not be
having this nmi race discussion in the first place: the generic ring buffer uses
"get page" directly rather than relying on vmalloc, because these bugs have
already been identified and dealt with years ago.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers