Re: [patch 2/2] x86 NMI-safe INT3 and Page Fault

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 13:55:27 EST

On 07/16/2010 07:58 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

Why is that kernel code calling vmalloc_sync_all()? If it is only NMI
which cannot take vmalloc faults, why bother? If not, why not?
Modules come as yet another example of stuff that is loaded in vmalloc'd space
and can be accesses from NMI context. That would include oprofile, tracers, and
probably others I'm forgetting about.

Module loading can certainly take a vmalloc_sync_all() (though I agree it's unpleasant). Anything else?

Note perf is not modular at this time, but could be made so with preempt/sched notifiers to hook the context switch.

signature is too narrow to contain.