Re: [patch 2/2] x86 NMI-safe INT3 and Page Fault

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 14:16:32 EST

On 07/16/2010 09:05 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

Module loading can certainly take a vmalloc_sync_all() (though I agree
it's unpleasant). Anything else?

Note perf is not modular at this time, but could be made so with
preempt/sched notifiers to hook the context switch.

Actually, module loading is already a performance problem; a lot of
distros load sometimes hundreds of modules on startup, and it's heavily
serialized, so I can see this being desirable to skip.

There aren't that many processes at this time (or there shouldn't be, don't know how fork-happy udev is at this stage), so the sync should be pretty fast. In any case, we can sync only modules that contain NMI handlers.

I really hope noone ever gets the idea of touching user space from an
NMI handler, though, and expecting it to work...

I think the concern here is about an NMI handler's code running in vmalloc space, or is it something else?

signature is too narrow to contain.