Re: [patch 2/2] x86 NMI-safe INT3 and Page Fault

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 18:07:40 EST

> And the thing is, if we just do NMI's correctly, and allow nesting,
> ALL THOSE PROBLEMS GO AWAY. And there is no reason what-so-ever to do
> stupid things elsewhere.

One issue I have with nesting NMIs is that you need
a nesting limit, otherwise you'll overflow the NMI stack.

We just got rid of nesting for normal interrupts because
of this stack overflow problem which hit in real situations.

In some cases you can get quite high NMI frequencies, e.g. with
performance counters. Now the current performance counter handlers
do not nest by themselves of course, but they might nest
with other longer running NMI users.

I think none of the current handlers are likely to nest
for very long, but there's more and more NMI coded all the time,
so it's definitely a concern.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.