Re: [patch 1/2] x86_64 page fault NMI-safe

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Jul 19 2010 - 03:33:18 EST

On 07/18/2010 09:22 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Avi Kivity<avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Too simple - an MCE will switch to its own stack, failing the test. Now
that we have correctable MCEs, that's not a good idea.
Ahh, true. And I think we do DEBUG traps with IST too.

So we do need the explicit flag over the region. Too bad. I was hoping
to handle the nested case without having to set up the percpu segment
(that whole conditional swapgs thing, which is extra painful in NMI).

Well, we have to do that anyway for the non-nested case. So we just do it before checking whether we're nested or not, and undo it on the popf; retf path.