Re: Existing netlink kernel <--> kernel communication

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Mon Jul 19 2010 - 14:55:23 EST

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>
> I'm following up to a linux kernel post of yours back in December:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=125053428528207&w=3
>
> Basically, I have the same interest - an internal netlink client to the
> qdisc interfaces.. I was wondering if you made any progress on the topic
> you could share? It seems maddening that netlink is promoted as an
> intra-kernel mechanism but it is non-obvious how to write a client..

The reason we at Atheros were considering it was a possible way to
communicate between two different subsystems, in our case Bluetooth
and 802.11. While it is technically possible to use netlink for such
purposes it introduces a layer of complexity which can be avoided by
just using direct exported routines, and by coordinating between the
two subsystems you need communication with.

So, the real question I think is why do you need a rigid API ? If
there is a good need, perhaps its a good idea, but so far I guess no
one simply has come up with one.

Luis