Re: [Patch] kexec: increase max of kexec segments and use dynamicallocation

From: Cong Wang
Date: Thu Jul 22 2010 - 02:36:14 EST

On 07/22/10 14:28, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Amerigo Wang<amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Currently KEXEC_SEGMENT_MAX is only 16 which is too small for machine with
many memory ranges. Increase this hard limit to 1024 which is reasonably large,
and change ->segment from a static array to a dynamically allocated memory.

???

This should be about segments in the executable being loaded. What
executable has one segment for each range of physical memory?

Not that generalizing this is a bad idea but with a comment that
seems entirely wrong I am wondering what the problem really is.

Ah, I think Neil should explain this.

He made a patch which includes many memory ranges, caused kexec
fails to load the kernel. Increasing this limit and the corresponding
one in kexec-tools fixes the problem. His patch is not in upstream
kexec-tools, AFAIK.

However, even if we don't consider that patch, isn't 16 too small too?

Thanks.

--
The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
- Elie Wiesel