Re: Wrong DIF guard tag on ext2 write

From: Gennadiy Nerubayev
Date: Mon Jul 26 2010 - 13:01:09 EST

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Vladislav Bolkhovitin <vst@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Some explanations for those who not familiar with the terminology:
>>>
>>>  - "Fileio" means Linux IO stack on the target receives IO via
>>> vfs_readv()/vfs_writev()
>>>
>>>  - "NV_CACHE" means all the cache synchronization requests
>>> (SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE, FUA) from the initiator are ignored
>>>
>>>  - "WRITE_THROUGH" means write through, i.e. the corresponding backend
>>> file
>>> for the device open with O_SYNC flag.

>>> It would be great if you prove or disprove our suspicions that Linux can
>>> produce several write requests for the same blocks simultaneously. To be
>>> sure we need:
>>>
>>> 1. The initiator is Linux. Windows and ESX are not needed for this
>>> particular case.
>>>
>>> 2. If you are able to reproduce it, we will need full description of
>>> which
>>> application used on the initiator to generate the load and in which mode.
>>>
>>> Target and DRBD configuration doesn't matter, you can use any.
>>
>> I just tried, and this particular DRBD warning is not reproducible
>> with io (iometer) coming from a Linux initiator (2.6.30.10) The same
>> iometer parameters were used as on windows, and both the base device
>> as well as filesystem (ext3) were tested, both negative. I'll try a
>> few more tests, but it seems that this is a nonissue with a Linux
>> initiator.
>
> OK, but to be completely sure, can you check also with other load
> generators, than IOmeter, please? IOmeter on Linux is a lot less effective
> than on Windows, because it uses sync IO, while we need big multi-IO load to
> trigger the problem we are discussing, if it exists. Plus, to catch it we
> need an FS on the initiator side, not using raw devices. So, something like
> fio over files on FS or diskbench should be more appropriate. Please don't
> use direct IO to avoid the bug Dave Chinner pointed us out.

I tried both fio and dbench, with the same results. With fio in
particular, I think I used pretty much every possible combination of
engines, directio, and sync settings with 8 threads, 32 queue depth
and random write workload.

> Also, you mentioned above about that Linux can generate the warning. Can you
> recall on which configuration, including the kernel version, the load
> application and its configuration, you have seen it?

Sorry, after double checking, it's only ESX and Windows that generate
them. The majority of the ESX virtuals in question are Windows, though
I can see some indications of ESX servers that have Linux-only
virtuals generating one here and there. It's somewhat difficult to
tell historically, and I probably would not be able to determine what
those virtuals were running at the time.

-Gennadiy