Re: swiotlb detection should be memory hotplug aware ?

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 10:10:13 EST

FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> The other problem is that using only two bits for the needed address
>> space is also extremly
>> inefficient (4GB and 16MB on x86). Really want masks everywhere and
>> optimize for the
>> actual requirements.
>
> swiotlb doesn't allocate GFP_DMA memory. It handles only GFP_DMA32.

I was lumping GFP_DMA and swiotlb together here. The
pci_alloc_consistent() function uses both interchangedly.
They really effectively are the same thing these days
and just separated by historical accident.

> I have a half-baked patch for it. I'll send it later.

The problem are still the *_map users which usually cannot sleep,
and then it's difficult to grow.
For *_alloc it's relatively easy and to some extend already
implemented.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.