Re: Preview of changes to the Security susbystem for 2.6.36

From: Christian Stroetmann
Date: Mon Aug 02 2010 - 06:16:23 EST

Aloha James, Aloha Kees;
Ont the 02.08.2010 08:57, Kees Cook wrote:
On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:41:08PM +1000, James Morris wrote:
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Kees Cook wrote:
Well, at least I'll have something for my summit presentation again.

On the other hand, it's rather hard for me to defend against a private NAK.

A private NAK against a company's developer's OK
Where is the difference private and company? I thought that it doesn't matter who and what a developer is, and where she/he comes from.

It's the same nak as before -- I concluded there was consensus on the
lists, but was wrong.

The opinion as well as the NAK by Christoph was discussed and supported by other developers.

James, will it stay in security-testing for .37 hopefully?
Not with this approach, I'd imagine.

Yes, because it supports as an experiment the development of the LSM architecture in general.

I'm sorry to appear dense, but the most recent NAK from Christoph was
here[1], which was for a patch to Yama that is not in security-testing
yet. Prior to that, all I could find was this[2] which explicitly asked
me to put stuff in a special LSM.

That is not quite right.
It is correct that this special Yama LSM was accepted so far. The inclusion into mainline was not an issue at that time.
But we discussed as well that the problem of chaining of small or large LSMs is not an argument for the existence of the Yama LSM, and that the LSM architecture should be developed further so that all of the functionalities of other securtiy packages without an LSM can be integrated as a whole by a new version of the LSM system in the future and not by ripping them of like it was done with the Yama LSM [3].
You can see these objections [3] as a second NAK, but now from a company's developer (I haven't said this before, because I'm not a hard core kernel developer).

I really would like to see it in mainline, but next steps are not clear.

-Kees

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/30/31
[2] http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/1/78

[3] http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/30/64