Re: PC Beeps not working with HDA Intel module

From: Shérab
Date: Mon Aug 02 2010 - 14:23:26 EST

Dear Daniel,

Many thanks for your helpful e-mail and sorry for the delay, it was hard
to find the time for testing.

Daniel J Blueman (2010/07/05 12:20 +0100):

> On Jun 26, 12:40 pm, Shérab <Sebastien.Hinderer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > The problem is on a computer with an HDA Intel sound card, Intel G45
> > DEVCTG chip and appears will all version s of the kernel.
> >
> > Running e.g.
> > beep 440
> > produces a beep whose audible frequency is very low, definitely not 440
> > Hz.
> >
> > However, it is worth notiing that grub is able to produce a beep of the
> > right frequency at boot time.
> >
> > Can this problem be fixed ?
> >
> > Should you need any additional bit of information or testing, please ask.
>
> I was finding the same with my Dell Studio 1557.

Good to know one is not alone.

> It may be worth using some printk calls [1] showing what frequency
> value is sent to the codec,

I applied your patch on top of
9fe6206f400646a2322096b56c59891d530e8d51

When a console bell is produced, one gets:
HDA beep: linear value 241

And running the command
beep 440
produces the following output:
HDA beep: linear value 248

Aso, the printk you added saying "printk(KERN_ERR "HDA beep: standard
value" never appears in the logs.
Was this result predictable ?
I thought that to each standard value one linear value would correspond,
or something like that.

> then checking with the codec datasheet -
> we'll need to know which one, eg from 'dmesg' or 'alsa-info.sh' (from
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh).

I attach the bzipped alsa-info.txt, hope this will help you guys.

> We'll probably need to check the configuration registers of the beep
> widget to check what divider it's using...

That I don't know how to do, sorry. Any clue would be warmly
appreciated.

Thanks again,
Shérab.