Re: Linux 2.6.35

From: Donald Parsons
Date: Mon Aug 02 2010 - 22:32:02 EST

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 18:08 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 6:21 AM, Donald Parsons <dparsons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Will it boot with the "pci=nocrs" option? If so, please open a
> >
> > No, I tried this on a few attempts when I saw it mentioned under
> > bug #16228. But it had no effect/benefit. Sorry, I should have
> > mentioned this.
> >
> >> report at https://bugzilla.kernel.org, mark it a regression, assign
> >> it to me, and attach the complete dmesg log. And please respond to
> >> this thread with a pointer to the bugzilla.
> >>
> >> Otherwise, a complete console log should have a clue. The best
> >> thing would be a log from a serial console or netconsole, with
> >> "ignore_loglevel".
> >
> > Maybe I will try netconsole tomorrow. But is Ethernet up when
> > this boot failure happens? I think not, since initramfs should
> > not need networking.
> >
> > Should I try building sata driver into kernel? Oh, I am using
> > ext3, and fdisk -l shows:
>
> # dracut --add-drivers "sata" ....
>
> or edit /etc/dracut.conf:
>
> add_drivers+=" sata "

But the kernel used to boot with same identical modules before
but not after 2.6.34-git4.
--------

Using your suggestion as to where the problem lies, I investigated
more deeply and found:

I've now got 2.6.35-rc6-git3 to boot (and almost certainly 2.6.35 final)

Make oldconfig broke at the transition where boot began failed, ie,
between 2.6.34-git4 and 2.6.34-git5. Even though modules are the
same, boot fails. If I use gconfig and set CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
instead of CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=m it works, except cannot select =y
unless CONFIG_ATA changed from m to y.

So at some point in past, make oldconfig had apparently changed
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI from y to m and system still booted. But between
2.6.34-git4 and 2.6.34-git5 the ability to boot was lost.

So make oldconfig is not 100% trustworthy in this case. I do not
know if this is a problem that should be fixed. Ask if you want
any .config diffs.

I am going to reboot with 2.6.35 to make sure it boots. Yes!

I consider this boot problem solved unless someone wants to
improve "make oldconfig" behavior.

Thanks,
Don